Chief of Staff
Captain Boris Geršak
Captain (Navy) Boris Geršak was born in 1966 in Slovenj Gradec.
After graduating from the Military High School Franc Rozman Stane in Ljubljana, he graduated from the Naval Military Academy in Split in 1989. In 1996, he completed a Staff Course and two years later a Higher Staff Course, both in the United States of America. In 2008, he finished the General Staff Course at Command and Staff School, Military Schools Centre in Maribor, Slovenia. In Germany, he completed NATO European Security Cooperation Course and the NATO Staff Officer Defense Planning Course.
Throughout his military career in the Slovenian Armed Forces (SAF), he has performed various commanding duties at a tactical level and staff duties at the operational and strategic levels. Between 2008 and 2009, was a Liaison Officer at the Military Representation to NATO and the EU. Between 2009 and 2011, he served as Deputy Military Representative for NATO at the Military Representation to NATO and the EU. In NATO's multinational operation KFOR in Kosovo, he led KFOR Joint Implementation Commission in KFOR Command in Priština for one year and was as such the most senior Slovenian Armed Forces national representative in KFOR.
Additionally, Captain (N) Geršak participated in numerous projects and working groups in the Slovenian Armed Forces.
Assignments in the Slovenian Armed Forces:
- 1991-1992: Staff Officer, District Headquarters Slovenj Gradec
- 1992-1993: Staff Officer, District Headquarters Izola
- 1993-2001: Commander, Naval Detachment
- 2001-2002: Commander, Coast Defence Brigade
- 2003-2007: Commander, Training Centre
- 2007-2008: Chief, Non-Commissioned Officer School
- 2008-2009: Senior Liaison Officer, SAF Military Representation to NATO and the EU, Brussels
- 2009-2011: Deputy Military Representative for NATO, SAF Military Representation to NATO and the EU, Brussels
- 2011-2012: Chief, Long-Term Planning Division, SAF General Staff
- 2012: Chief of Operations Division, SAF Force Command
- 2013-2016: Commander, Naval Division
- 2016-2017: Chief, Joint Implementation Commission, KFOR Command, Priština (the most senior SAF national representative in KFOR)
- 2017-2018: Commander, Naval Division
- 2018: Chief of Staff, SAF General Staff
He was promoted to the rank of Captain (N) on 15 May 2009.
For his work in the military and defence area, Captain (N) Geršak received the following decorations: Bronze and Silver Medal of General Maister, Bronze and Silver Medal of the Slovenian Armed Forces, Silver Swords of the SAF Force Command, Silver and Gold Plaque of the SAF Doctrine, Development, Education and Training Command, Gold Medal of the Naval Division, In the Service of Peace Medal. Additionally, he has been awarded the following foreign decorations: NATO Non-Article V Medal, Italian Croce commemorativa per la missione militare di pace in Kosovo, French National Defence Medal and NATO Meritorious Service Medal
He and his family live in Koper.