Military Representation to NATO and the EU
Head of the Representation and Military Representative to NATO and the EU: Brigadier Milan Žurman
The Military Representation to NATO and the European Union is the highest military representative body of the Slovenian Armed Forces to these two institutions. The representation is based at the Permanent Representation of the Republic of Slovenia to NATO in Brussels, where the common part of the Representation and the NATO department are located. The EU department is located at the Permanent representation of the Republic of Slovenia to the EU. The representation is headed by a military representative (MILREP) who represents the Chief of the General Staff of the Slovenian Armed Forces in NATO and EU military committees.
Tasks of the representation include:
- representation of interests of the Republic of Slovenia in the NATO and EU military committees and their working bodies,
- provision of military advice to the ambassadors of the Republic of Slovenia to NATO and the EU,
- participation in the military decision-making as well as in the formulation and implementation of NATO and EU concepts of operation,
- provision of national support for Slovenian Armed Forces members working at the NATO International Military Staff and EU Military Staff,
- support and coordination of Slovenian Armed Forces members engaged in NATO and EU working bodies,
- cooperation with NATO working and other bodies where the representatives of the Slovenian Armed Forces are employed and where the interests of the Republic of Slovenia and the Slovenian Armed Forces are represented,
- coordination and support during the visits of high military and civilian representatives of the Republic of Slovenia to NATO and the EU and highest NATO and EU representatives to the Republic of Slovenia.
National Military Representation to the Allied Command Operations
Head of the Representation and National Military Representative: Brigadier General Roman Urbanč
The National Military Representation to the Allied Command Operations based in Mons, Belgium, is responsible for the implementation of interests of the Republic of Slovenia and the Slovenian Armed Forces as well as for the provision of command support in the preparation and conduct of operations at the strategic level. The national military representation also represents the Slovenian Armed Forces at the NATO Communication and Information Systems Services Agency (NCSA), EU Cell for Liaison with the Allied Command Operations (ACO), EU Cell for Operations, Allied Command Transformation Cell with the Supreme Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE) and NATO Airborne Early Warning and Control Force (NAEW&CF).
Tasks of the representation include:
- performing activities related to the preparation, negotiation, organisation and the actual participation of units and individuals of the Slovenian Armed Forces in EU and NATO-led operations and NATO-supported operations,
- coordinating and conducting other activities related to the participation of Slovenian Armed Forces members in NATO exercises,
- cooperating with NATO partner countries within SHAPE,
- participating in SHAPE working bodies and cooperation with all SHAPE organisation and support units,
- providing national support for Slovenian Armed Forces members working in NATO peacetime structure under the auspices of the Allied Command Operations,
- coordinating and supporting the visits of military and civilian representatives of the Republic of Slovenia to the Allied Command Operations and representatives of the Allied Command Operations in the Republic of Slovenia,
- participating in the planning, organisation and commitment of NATO Response Force (NRF) and EU Battle Group (EU BG),
- participating in decision-making and the formulation of military advice for the Chief of the General Staff of the Slovenian Armed Forces regarding international military operations.
National Liaison Representative, Allied Command Transformation
Head of the Representative Office and National Liaison Representative:
Colonel Tadej Burgar
Sergeant First Class Jernej Škorja
• Colonel Tadej Burgar:
Telephone: +386 1 230 5818
+1 757 747 4140
Mobile: +1 757 927 2215
• Sergeant 1st Class Jernej Škorja:
Telephone: +386 1 471 1497
+1 757 747 3677
Mobile: +1 757 389 2941
NATO HQ, Supreme Allied Commander Transformation
Slovenian National Liaison Representative Office
7857 Blandy Road, Suite 100
Norfolk, Virginia 23551-2490
National Liaison Representation to the Allied Command Transformation (ACT) based National Liaison Representative Office operates within Allied Command Transformation (ACT) in Norfolk, USA. The Office provides support in the implementation of interests of the Republic of Slovenia and the Slovenian Armed Forces in the formation and implementation of transformation concepts related to NATO. It also provides for an uninterrupted flow of information and exchange of professional solutions between ACT and the Slovenian Armed Forces, thus enabling the realisation of goals concerning the development and provision of SAF capabilities.
- communicating Slovenia’s national standpoints and initiatives important for the development of national and NATO military capabilities;
- briefing the Slovenian Armed Forces and the Ministry of Defence about the progress in the field of doctrinal solutions and the development of transformation initiatives and projects under the responsibility of ACT;
coordinating ACT’s support in the development of SAF’s and MoD’s transformation concepts and capabilities;
- coordinating SAF participation in NATO projects on individual education and training programmes, exercises and development of education and training doctrines;
- providing coordination and support during visits of national military and civilian representatives to ACT as well as ACT representatives to Slovenia;
providing for information exchange, cooperation, liaison and coordination between the SAF and US military commands in the USA, whose responsibilities are directly linked to SAF activities in international operations and with transformation processes in the field of military education and training;
- providing national support to SAF members located in the USA and Canada for work, education, or training purposes.